Thursday, May 1, 2008

Natural Instead of Drugs

First I want to make it very clear I speak only for myself. Others should not consider this as advice because it is not. Always check with your own health care provider before taking anything.

I believe that if I eat right (most of the time) and choose my medications/supplements from the most natural sources possible, I will do the most good and least amount of damage to my body. This is a line of thought that I have embraced only in the last few years. After years of smoking and subsisting on crackers with peanut butter and apricot preserves, I’m lucky to have a body left to treat kindly. These bad habits are a thing of the past. Little by little I am learning better ways to live.

Without going into long drawn out detail, I present a thumbnail of what I have been doing that has worked for me. Maybe it will help others.

1) Armour Thyroid instead of Synthroid for hypothyroid.

2) Omega 3 fish oil capsules (I take 2 capsules 3 x a day) for Arthritis.

3) Quinoa (KEEN-WAH) FLAKES hot cereal for irritable bowel syndrome. IBS needs high protein and fiber. Quinoa has both and provides a non-meat source. Dress it up with cut up fruit, a little honey and soy milk.

4) Turmeric (curcumin) as an anti-inflammatory. Comes in capsule form or you can eat a lot of Eastern and Middle Eastern dishes that use Turmeric. Stops the pain of inflammation as well as ibuprofen without damage to vital organs.

Do your own research; ask your own health care provider. My doctor at least listens to me now as I explain why I take certain things.

No comments: